Low sodium, low fat broths, black teas, coffees (caffeine is ok).
Organic coconut water without the bits and pieces or infused waters. Do not eat the fruits out of the infused waters.
Remember actual fruit is not allowed on the pre op diet, only the juices and infused waters during the clear liquid part of the prep. Drink up the water as much as you would like!
To flavor your water, but do not eat them, you can add a combination of any of the vegetables from the non-starchy vegetable list plus fresh mint, cilantro or cinnamon to any of these fruit and vegetable infused waters! And for a touch of sweetness, you can use stevia or monk fruit.
Infused water ideas
- Water + Cucumber + lemon slices
- Water + red berries + lemon slices
- Water + watermelon + cantaloupe
- Water + pineapple + orange slices
- Water + apples +pears
This can be made in a juicer or in a blender and strain avoid vegetables and fruits that contain pulp remember the fruit juices are for the clear liquid days any infused waters and the vegetable juices are for the whole pre op diet including the clear liquid days. No fruit juice or pieces of fruit during the regular preop diet are allowed.
For a little variety you can freeze your infused water or juices to make tasty popsicles.
Simply mix the infusions with unflavored gelatin.
Rich in collagen and nutrients.
Use bones that contain the most amount of gelatin (marrow, knuckles, joints, feet)
Add all the vegetables, herbs, and spices you like (carrots, onions, celery and garlic)
Blanch, roast, boil, and simmer (the longer it simmers, the more collagen you can get out of it)
This may also be prepared in a crockpot:
Note: It may also be prepared in large batches, and frozen for later use
- 5 lbs./Kg. bones
- 3 celery stalks
- 2 carrots
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 laurel leaf
- 3 thyme sprigs (fresh or dried)
- 2 tbsp apple vinegar
- 3 full quarts /3Lt water
- Ground pepper (to taste)
- Blanch the bones (optional)
- Roast the bones in the oven at 350F for 30 mins
- Dice the veggies and place all the ingredients in a large stock pot in low heat for at least 8 hours (the longer the better)
- Strain and place liquid broth in small recipients to in your freezer where it may last up to one year. Remember you are only drinking the liquid broth, not eating the solids.