A clear liquid diet helps maintain adequate hydration, provides important electrolytes, such as sodium and potassium, and will give you energy. You must follow a clear liquid diet 3 days before your surgery and for the first 5 to 7 days post-surgery. It is important to follow the recommendations of the clear liquid diet, as it helps to shrink the liver and clean out the digestive track before surgery, which will decrease the amount of gasses post-surgery.
After surgery, the clear liquid diet gives your new tummy or pouch time to heal. You can have any color of no sugar added fruit and vegetable juices, sugar-free JELL-O, and sugar-free popsicles. Remember that surgery day counts as day three of the clear liquid diet prep.
The following liquids are allowed on a clear liquid diet:
- Water (plain or flavored) – you can have up to three of the waters that already have some protein in them, such as Premiere Protein Waters, Kirkland brand protein waters, Isopure, etc. Please do not add Genepro to water on the clear liquid phase of the diet prep.
- Fruit juices without pulp, such as apple, purple grape, white grape, cranberry, etc. – you should dilute with water and limit consumption to three 8 oz glasses of juice per day (8 oz before you dilute them with water).
- Sugar-free gelatin
- Decaf tea or coffee without milk or cream
- Diet vegetable juices
- Sports drinks, such as Powerade Zero, zero calorie Propel, Crystal Light, etc.
- Clear, fat-free, and low sodium broths (bouillon or consommé) – bone, vegetable, chicken, and beef broth are all good choices.
- Sugar-free hard candy, such as lemon drops or peppermint rounds (just a few per day to help with the dry mouth)
- Sugar-free popsicles (without milk, pieces of fruit, seeds, or nuts)