Bienvenido’s to Elias Ortiz and Company!
We welcome you into our circle of friends and family. We promise that we will help support you along every step of your journey.
How long do I need to do the pre-op diet for before surgery?
The following is a timeline based on your BMI, please speak with your coordinator to confirm your timeline.
BMI 30 – 32: 1 week
BMI 33 – 50: 2 weeks
BMI 51 – 60: 3 weeks
BMI 61 – 70: 5 weeks
BMI 70 AND HIGHER: 6 weeks
Why do I need to do the pre-op diet?
Physically it helps to clean out the stored glycogen from the liver which helps to shrink and make the liver less inflamed. That means, a safer surgery for you. Mentally it will help you adjust to eating smaller portions, and eating a lean, green and clean diet.
- Up to three protein shakes a day (see below)
- Lean protein (6 oz. a day for females) (8 oz. a day for males)
- Unlimited non-starchy vegetables (see list below)
- Sugar free gelatin (2 a day)
- Sugar free popsicles (2 a day)
- Unlimited broths
- zero calorie waters teas, coffee. You can mix and match and have these things any time of the day!
Up to 3 per day: You can make homemade shakes with lite soy, lite rice, lite almond, lite cashew milks etc. The protein shakes should not be more than 250 calories total, at least 15 grams of proteins, and the carbohydrates must not be more than half that of the number of grams of proteins. There are literally 100 brands that meet the doctor’s recommendations. Including: Atkins, Premier Protein, Clean Protein by Orgain, Vega Plant based, Slim Fast, Walmart Generic Protein shakes, GNC Lean Shakes, Fit, Quest, 310 protein shakes, Inspire etc.
- Chicken, turkey, white fish, tofu, shrimp, scallops, crab, eggs, Egg Beaters.
- Note: * 2 eggs are equal 3 oz. of a lean protein.
- Only baked, boiled, roasted, grilled, nothing fried.
***You can spilt your lean protein in many servings through at the day as you would like, as long as women eat 6oz, men eat 8oz per day.**
UNLIMITED! Baked, boiled, roasted, grilled, nothing fried. Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, zucchini, green onions, white or yellow onions, cucumbers (dill pickles), bell peppers, tomatoes, celery, radishes, spinaches, ALL lettuces, alfalfa sprouts, turnip, collard, mustard greens, cabbage, asparagus, turnips, leeks, brussel sprouts, mushrooms, spaghetti squash.
** Pro-tip use zero calorie cooking spray to cook eggs and veggies.
- Use only low fat or zero calorie salad dressing.
- Note:*Do not use fat free dressing because they can have a lot of calories!*
Seasons & Zero Calorie Sweeteners
- You can use all the dry seasonings that you like and any zero calorie artificial sweeteners, Stevia, Sweet N Low, Splenda.
Drinks and other goodies.
- You can have 2 a day sugar-free popsicles and 2 a day sugar-free gelatin.
- Unlimited sugar free sports drinks, teas, coffee, broths, and zero calorie flavored waters.
*Your coffee can have caffeine but do not use cream or sugar.
Unlimited Approved Soups (with no meat)
Frequently asked but not allowed (please note this is a small list of items not allowed) Every item NOT allowed is NOT listed here:
- No cheese of any kind
- No Fruit of any kind.
- No Nuts of any kind.
- No Bread or wraps of any kind.
- No Rice of any kind.
- No Pasta of any kind.
- No Potatoes, sweet potatoes or yams.
- No Cereals (hot or cold).
- No Oatmeal.
- No Popcorn.
- No Refined grains.
- No Corn.
- No Peas.
- No Sauces with sugar.
- No protein bars or protein snacks (only shakes).
3 Days before surgery (counting surgery day) you will be on clear liquids only.
The following liquids are allowed on a clear liquid diet:
- Water (plain or flavored) – you can have up to three of the waters that already have some protein in them, such as Premiere Protein Waters, Kirkland brand protein waters, Isopure, etc. Please do not add Genepro to water on the clear liquid phase of the diet prep.
- Sugar-free gelatin – 2 per day
- Decaf tea or coffee without milk or cream
- Diet vegetable juices
- Sports drinks, such as Powerade Zero, zero calorie Propel, Crystal Light, etc.
- Clear, fat-free, and low sodium broths (bouillon or consommé) – bone, vegetable, chicken, and beef broth are all good choices.
- Sugar-free hard candy, such as lemon drops or peppermint rounds (just a few per day to help with the dry mouth)
- Sugar-free popsicles – 2 per day (without milk, pieces of fruit, seeds, or nuts)
DO NOT EAT SOLID FOOD DURING THESE 3 DAYS, AS YOUR SURGERY WILL BE CANCELLED AND YOU WILL BE CHARGED THE FULL AMOUNT OF SURGERY.
SAMPLE MEAL PLAN FOR PRE-OP DIET
1 protein shake
1 protein shake
Large salad and/or raw or cooked vegetables, plus lean meat.
Example: Tilapia with baked broccoli
Salad with protein (chicken, fish, 2 eggs, etc.) and with approved dressing.
1 protein shake (if needed)
Crystal lite or other flavored diet waters with no calories or sugar, non-starchy vegetables, Sacred Heart Soup (or other approved soup).
Guidelines and Dates
These are rough guidelines to follow, please confirm with your coordinator.
Two weeks before your surgery
If you are a smoker, you will need to stop! Continuing to smoke close to your surgery date and not following the doctor’s recommendations may increase post-surgery complications and slow down the healing process.
For help and ideas on how to stop smoking go to the Center for Disease Control
You are NOT allowed to use the E-Cigs, Vapes, but you can use the Nicorette Gum and patches but please stop gum and patches 72 hours before surgery.
You must also quit smoking marijuana. Your lungs must be clear of any substance 2 weeks prior to surgery.
List of common medications to stop:
Seven days before your surgery
STOP ALL vitamins, supplements, fish oils, ginkoba, NSAIDS (non -steroidal anti-inflammatory) including Motrin, Advil, Aleve, Diclofenac, you must stop any aspirin and arthritis medications because they can interfere with the blood clotting process. For general aches and pains, headaches you can use Tylenol, Extra Strength Tylenol and prescription pain medications that are not NSAIDS.
Three days before surgery: this is when you start CLEAR LIQUIDS ONLY
Take a good laxative, any brand that you chose, and it is ok to repeat the dose one time but remember that laxatives can take up to 24-48 hours to kick in!
Stop any statins or cholesterol and diabetes medications. Continue to check and monitor your blood glucose levels and treat accordingly. Please continue any heart, blood pressure, thyroid, anti-depressants, anxiety medications as directed.
One Day Before Surgery (Travel Day)
Continue with the clear liquid diet as directed. Eight hours (8) before surgery nothing by mouth. You can take any blood pressure, heart, thyroid, anti-depressants, anxiety medications the morning of surgery with a small sip of water. No pain medications at this point.